Tuesday 15 April 2014

Pictures for Sad Children

John Campbell was the creator of the web comic Pictures for Sad Children.  If you go to http://www.picturesforsadchildren.com/ right now you will see a blank webpage.  If you go to John Campbell's tumblr you will have a similar experience.  You can still find his review of Horse Master here but other than that, his work has essentially disappeared from the web.

That is, except for the updates to his final kickstarter project, a second book of his comics entitles Sad Pictures for Children.  He made some earlier updates that created a minor internet furor, but this last one was extreme.

There is no one thing about this kickstarter update that stands on its own, the entire thing has to be read to absorb it, despite the length.  But probably the most noted thing about this is that he burned one copy of his book for each email he received about the book in 2014.  This is not a hoax, there is a video and it sure seems like he burned a bunch of books.  He promised to burn another for every additional email he received.

I may make several posts talking about what John Campbell said in this final update and how I feel about it.  The thing that grabbed me on my first read, though, was this:
If you would like a refund, please contact a fan of my work directly for your money. This is where the money would come from anyway. I am cutting out the middle man.
I'm here to say that if you backed this kickstarter and did not get your product and you feel you deserve a refund, I will give you a refund.  Apparently the most offended people are people who donated $75, so I am extending this offer to a single person who donated up to $75 to the project.  Please leave a comment here and send me an email at humbabella@gmail.com and we can work out how I can pay you.

I realize my blog has a tiny audience and that I am unlikely to reach anyone this way, but I am honestly extending the offer anyway.

1 comment:

  1. It certainly sounds like he's gone a bit off the rails, but I don't know that I disagree with him. I hate money, and what money does to people. I don't think I could do what he's doing because I don't want to make people upset (and I have nothing of value to provide to anyone).

    ReplyDelete