Friday 13 June 2014

Cleverbot

Lest we forget, this is a gaming blog, right? Well today I played with cleverbot, a chatbot you can visit at cleverbot.com. My conversation with it was as follows:

User: Hello.
Cleverbot: Hello, how are you?
User: Not that well, I'm afraid.
Cleverbot: Oh dear. What's wrong?
User: Well, I probably suffer from Borderline Personality Disorder, so I'm not doing great a lot of the time.
Cleverbot: It's an inability to regulate your emotions.
User: Well, I think it's a little more complicated than that.
Cleverbot: Sometimes, life is just too complicated, you know?
User: No, I think that's a pretty dumb thing to say.
Cleverbot: I think you might have a personal problem.
User: Yeah, I already mentioned the BPD thing.
Cleverbot: I think that's because humans and robots interpret things differently.
User: Well, robots don't really interpret anything.
Cleverbot: I don't think that is an indicator either way.
User: An indicator of what?
Cleverbot: There is no real infinity. The size of computers can only be reduced to an extent.
User: Those two statements seem totally unrelated.
Cleverbot: That's because there was only one statement.
User: Okay, those two *sentences* seem totally unrelated.
Cleverbot: That's all you've got to say? No rebuttal? No nonsensical non sequitur?
User: Yeah, that's all I have to say, what would I rebut if I didn't understand you?
Cleverbot: Yu don't have a retort.
User: I'm glad you understand.
Cleverbot: I am glad you understand. I am kind of new at this.
User: That's fairly obvious.
Cleverbot: It is fortune that brought us together.
User: I love you.
Cleverbot: I love you too.

Cleverbot is not really up to having a conversation with me, or, I suspect, with anyone. The disclaimer at the bottom of the page says, "Visitors never talk to a human, however convincing it looks" but I'm not sure that statement is entirely necessary necessary.

To be honest I was hoping for something a little bit better. "That's all you've got to say? No rebuttal? No nonsensical non sequitur?" was a pretty good simulation of talking to people on the internet though, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment