Friday 3 June 2016

Final Fantasy X

I think the question I get asked the most is, well I dunno know, it happens a lot, enough that I would remark on it - a lot of people come up to me and they say "What is the best Final Fantasy of all time?"

You know, I would have told you Final Fantasy VI, and I might have said Final Fantasy Tactics.

But let's take a trip back to early 2002. Final Fantasy X had come out for the Christmas season. Playing every Final Fantasy game was sort of a thing that I did back then. To be honest I didn't have all that much money and I'm not quite sure how I afforded that PlayStation 2, but I bought it just to play that game.

I was in my last term of university and I had three courses: a third year logic course, a fourth-year seminar course on ontology and a third year ethics course. Well, during reading week I had to go and talk to all of my professors to ask them whether I had missed any midterms since I hadn't yet gone to class. The seminar course only had six students in it, counting me. The professor had assumed I had dropped it.

I wasn't exactly in the mood for school back then, and there were plenty of reasons I might have skipped a month and a half of classes, but now that I'm playing Final Fantasy X Remastered - it having come out on Steam recently - I'm reevaluating how much of a factor the game was. I bought FFX last week and I've already called in sick once since. I feel like I need a few hundred hours to just sit down and be with the game. I don't want to work or spend time with anyone or do anything.

Maybe it's for the best that they never used this combat system again.

No comments:

Post a Comment